I found the blog posts this week particularly interesting and I hope that students are reading each other's blogs. From the comments, it looks like some are, but perhaps I need to build this in more explicitly next time.
Looking at the different schools seems to be triggering lots of interesting questions for us to think about. I was also surprised to see the hybrid models (Sam and Alejandro found two interesting ones) where the online learning is supported by on-site activities. This seems to be a growing movement--not just for social or sports activities, which many online charters with full-time online students have build in, but for in-school learning time. We are going to have to be careful with the use of the term hybrid, because this is the reverse of the general use of the term, which is that f2f learning is supplement by online learning.
Important questions were raised about funding streams, particularly since some online state schools now seem to be charging and since many charters list prices--so how does this work? Another question was about attendance policies--should there be an online equivalent to seat time and if so, what is it? Next time I should find some explicit and recent readings or information on both of these, which were discussed by the speakers I brought into the f2f class but are not explicitly covered in the online course.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like reading other students' blog entries. If it is not part of an assignment, then I only do it as time permits. If you want it to be an assignment, you could ask people to find a post with a similar or opposite perspective or a comment that is though provoking.
ReplyDeleteI hesitated to add one more assignment that asked for a response. I thought the discussion forums would be enough. Need to think again?
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should just commit to being followers on everyone's blog. I'll admit after I post I tend to browse around at everyone's blog. I'm sure others do the same. I see that people tend to comment if they feel strongly (for or against) about a blog post. In this class, I think everyone likes the discussion board better, possibly because all content is in one central location.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea. This is my first blog (!) and it never occured to me that you could follow other people's blogs that way, but next time I will absolutely require it.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree. I hadn't taken the time to read other people's blogs not because I am not interested in their reflections, but simply because there just isn't enough time in the week to do all the assignments, my student teaching, my journals, my internship, etc. If it were built-in as an assignment I would certainly do it and I might actually refer back to these blogs as reference when class is over and I have more free time...
ReplyDelete